Wednesday 8 February 2017

Sharp Practice 2


Have primarily been assembling a British Peninsular War force for SP2. Now, my literal historical knowledge is actually quite limited, so I am not too concerned about absolutes such as actual colours for turnbacks, cuffs etc....sorry to all the purists out there.

I find that, probably like most of you, it can take an age to get a painted force to the table. I am not going to go into any great detail on how to paint a regiment in quick time, as there are more qualified people blogging than myself. But i have found that the biggest problem with painting figures is actually myself.

I have been known to lavish 4-5 hours on a single figure. Black undercoat...base coat..layering the main coat and then applying highlights...even eyes sometimes, but we know that wont get stuff fighting.

I have therefore decide to lower my own expectations and go for speed. It was hard to start with, but as stands of figures mount up, the benefits are obvious. I still spend 4-5 hours on some guys especially for small force stuff with factions of maybe 6 or 6 figures.


These are Perry Miniature metals having been undercoated with Army Painter red.

Similar after a base coat of all the essential colours and then given a wash of the Army Painter soft brown ink. I am using Sabot bases from Warbases which i then texture with Vallejo Effects Brown Earth. I find this very convenient and it is applied straight from the pot, then given a drybrush of (say) Foundry paint Base Sand light colour. Grass and flowers from the Gamers Grass range.

I primarily use the Foundry paint range and have some Citadel inks, washes and glazes....never tried Vallejo paints yet.

Some 95th Rifles ready to go...Perry's again. I think maybe I have got the colouring historically correct.

Artillery. Not too sure how they will fare in SP2....time will tell.


2 of my Leaders for the 95th. I have some individual Sabot Bases, again from Warbases and numbered them, so that I have an identifier for each leader.



No comments:

Post a Comment