Wednesday 8 February 2017

Carthaginians

I eventually bought an Ancient army and decide to go for Carthage. I have some amazing boxed sets from Victrix...2 boxes of Carthaginian Warriors, some Balearic Slingers, Numidian Cavalry and Infantry and I also got some Armoured Samnites as they looked nice.


These little fellas have been spray undercoated white as that is their primary uniform colour. Flesh and under tunics (Raw Linen) painted, again using Foundry paints. With the Bronze helmets, I find for best results to paint that area Brown prior to the Bronze. For the Veteran units I am assembling, as they have Bronze armour, I will spray undercoat them brown to begin with. More on that in a later post.


Half a unit near completion. The shields were sprayed white whilst still on the sprues. The reverse was painted Bay Brown whilst still on the sprues along with the front shield rim. Painted the shield rim with Bronze. When dry, I applied the shield transfers from Little Big Men Studios. When they are dried, I remove an area of paint from the back of the shield and shield arm very carefully with a scalpel and plastic glue the shields onto the figures. Glue figures to base and later apply the good old Vallejo mud. Just need to drybrush and flock.
The shields will get a hand painted layer of gloss varnish when ready. I never actually varnish any figures and have not had any problems yet. I have seen some bases of figures that have been spray varnished and bits of grass stuck all over the figures.


No comments:

Post a Comment